One of my family’s favorite recipes is crockpot chili. I am all for a hot bowl of chili when it starts getting cooler. It is hearty and protein-packed one-pot-meal that everyone will be begging for more. This recipe is also called slow cooker chili but I call it delicious. Let’s get cooking…
How do you make crockpot chili?
With my crockpot of course. For an added bonus I like to make it organic, so I choose organic vegetables, beef, and canned goods.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of these links I will make a small commission, but rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 large green pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 1 large red pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cans (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- I can (14.5 oz) chili beans in mild sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) kidney beans (drained)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Sour cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Add olive oil to skillet then heat over medium, cook green and red pepper for 3 minutes, then add cook garlic and onions cook until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to crockpot.
- Brown ground beef in the skillet until no longer pink, drain off grease and add to crockpot.
- Open canned tomatoes and beans then add to crockpot.
- Add all spices (not fresh cilantro) to crockpot. Stir.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low 6 hours.
You might also like this turkey chili recipe from an earlier post.
- Saute’ pan
- Crockpot (Rival)
- Spoon for sauteing
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chili bowls
- Can opener (easiest to use)
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
Tip: I use a regular Rival Crockpot (manual), so you don’t need a fancy one to get perfect chili.
Adding Ingredients To The Slow Cooker
One-pot meals are so easy, however, this recipe does require an extra step of sauteing vegetables and browning the ground beef. The veggie preparation and browning of the ground beef can be done a day ahead so in the morning you simply remove them from the refrigerator and place in your crockpot. Then add the canned goods and spices, cover and turn it on and forget it.
You will want to make a large batch and enjoy it for days. This recipe freezes well and it makes an easy dinner on a busy day since all you have to do is defrost, heat and serve.
Check out our latest video:
Chili Serving Ideas
You can serve your chili straight from the crockpot, however, I like to serve it with additional toppings (sour cream, spring onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro). You can also serve it over pasta, hot dogs, or baked potatoes. It is fun to serve with all the choices in bowls (chili bar) and allow your guests and family to serve themselves.
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Spring onions (chopped)
- Jalapeno peppers
- Corn chips
- Saltine crackers
I wanted to share this fantastic recipe my sister, Kathy, from At Home With Kathy developed since she eats a plant-based diet she has been giving all her favorite recipes a plant-based makeover.
For dessert, you can serve an easy favorite Pine Bark Toffee you can find the recipe HERE. It is the perfect amount of sweet and rich dark chocolate after chili.
Thank you for your visit today I hope you found something delicious to cook. Please join me as I cook, sew, create, and well, do everything better at home by clicking HERE you can join my insider’s list and be the first to receive my new posts and ALL my freebies.
Ps. Please say hello in the comments below and let me know what your favorite chili toppings are…