This Indian lentil stew is one of my favorite easy comfort food recipes. The combination of curry, lentils and sweet potatoes is the perfect balance of textures and flavors.
This stew is made with simple and easy to find ingredients you can find at your local grocery store. Since lentils do not require soaking this recipe can easily be made for a delicious and nourishing dinner in minutes. It is a kid-approved family favorite your family will be asking for.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of these links I will make a small commission. You can rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe – Dal, dahl, daal or dhal!
Whichever spelling you choose the recipe is the same. When making this classic Indian recipe you can choose any combination of spices (garam masala) or omit it. Note, I use curry powder not curry leaves.
Indian Lentil Stew
- 2 T Coconut Oil cold-pressed
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 1 T Curry powder add more to taste if you like
- 2 T Flour
- 20 ounces Vegetable broth
- 1 Cup Dried lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Salt I use pink salt
- 3/4 Cups Apple juice
- 4 Cups Sweet potatoes peeled and diced (1" pieces)
- 1 1/4 Cup Frozen sweet peas
- 1/8 tsp garam marsala for spicer stew
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk added at the end for creamer stew
- In a dutch oven or stockpot melt the coconut butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and curry powder; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in lentils and salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in apple juice, sweet potatoes, and peas. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with sour cream, fresh lime wedges, and fresh chopped cilantro. Over a bed of fluffy basmati rice, or quinoa and toasty naan bread.
Gather Lentil Recipe Supplies
- Dutch oven, or stockpot
- Bamboo spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bamboo cutting board
- Chef knife 8″
- Vegetable brush
- Vegetable peeler
- Garam Masala spice
Cook coconut oil (or olive oil), curry powder and onions over medium heat. Stir in flour. Slowly add vegetable broth, stirring constantly until thickened.
Omit flour for gluten-free lentil curry instead thicken with cornstarch or arrowroot. Gradually add broth, stirring until thickened.
Stir in lentil and salt. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook lentil mixture at a simmer 20. Note, I used brown lentils in this recipe, however, green or red lentils can be used too (cooking times can vary).
For a creamer, stew adds 1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk at the end of cooking time. Thus, making it a coconut curry.
Make lentil curry stew vegan by omitting the sour cream. Instead, substitute it with a dairy-free vegan sour cream.
Lentil Dal Curry Serving Suggestions
I like offering toppings of chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, and wedges of lime.
Legumes – Meatless Protein
Lentils are made up of over 25% protein, thus they are the perfect meat alternative with no saturated fat. Which includes, brown, black, red and green lentils.
For more vegan recipes, please check out my sister’s blog, At Home With Kathy.
You might enjoy these easy recipes:
My Amazon picks:
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some recipes I think you will like. If you like easy everyday recipes then you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox click HERE.