It’s almost that time, friends. Next week is THANKSGIVING! I love this special day for gathering family and friends as we reflect on all we are thankful for in our lives. We love to reminisce and we love to EAT! My sweet potato casserole is everyone’s FAVORITE!
Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe for Thanksgiving
What is a great sweet potato casserole? Well, it is the perfect combination of sweet, fluffy and crunchy. If your guests like sweet potato casserole then you will need to double this recipe.
Start with Fresh Sweet Potatoes
Yes, I use fresh sweet potatoes for the best sweet potato casserole. Scrub the sweet potatoes with a vegetable brush under running water then wrap in foil. Place foil wrapped potatoes on a sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for hour to hour and a half. After one hour I check if the potatoes are soft by gently squeezing them. When they are soft they are finished cooking. Set the hot sheet pan with sweet potatoes on cooling racks to cool.
Note: I do this 2 days before Thanksgiving. After the potatoes have cooled I refrigerate then until one day before Thanksgiving when I peel the potatoes and make the easy sweet potato casserole.
Special notes: You might also like know the secret to cooking the perfect Thanksgiving turkey see how in this post. If you would like to join me as we plan for a Stress-FREE Thanksgiving and receive my Stress-FREE planning Guide, easy award winning recipes, shopping lists, place cards and so much more please chick here to join me.
Gather Recipe Ingredients
Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 Extra Large Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 stick butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cut brown sugar
- 2 Tbls. flour
- Place scrubbed and foil wrapped sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven to bake for one to one and half hours. After one hour check potatoes by gently squeezing the them for softness if they are soft they are finished baking. If they are not soft place pan back in the oven and bake for 30 more minutes. Remove pan of cooked sweet potatoes to cooling racks.
- Potato Mixture:
- Using an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar.
- Peel the cooled potatoes and place them in the mixer bowl with the creamed butter and sugar. Mix on slow speed while slowly adding eggs, evaporated milk and vanilla extract.
- Cream together and place in greased casserole pan. (I like to use a pretty oven-safe casserole dish - sizes vary)
- To make the topping mix together soften (not melted) butter, brown sugar and flour. Once they are creamed together fold in the chopped nuts.
- Spread topping evenly on sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. Checking that the center is 158 degrees.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of the these links I will make a small commission, but rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
Tools and Utensils
Every cook loves to have the best tools to make food preparation easy and fast. I wanted to share some of the best tools I used to prepare this recipe.
- My favorite mixer
- Vegetable scrubber
- Measuring cups
- Sheet pan
- Casserole dish
- Measuring spoons
- Oven timer
Traditional Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
You know those comforting side dishes that everyone gobbles up at Thanksgiving. I have gathered an amazing collection of traditional Thanksgiving side dishes and a few modern takes too see them here. You are going to love them.
Thanksgiving Apple Cake (move over pie)
Fall is my favorite time of year and fresh apples are definitely something I look forward to every fall. I have gathered some fresh apple recipes your dinner guests will be raving over. There is a wonderful apple breakfast cake recipe I will be serving on Thanksgiving and Christmas morning. Find those recipes and more in this apple cake recipe post.
10 Ways to Cook Thanksgiving Turkey
Don’t forget the main attraction at your Thanksgiving feast — the Turkey! Want to make the perfect turkey? Learn how to make the perfect Thanksgiving turkey 10 different cooking methods. From traditional roasted to slow cooker and everything in between.
Stress-Free Christmas Guide:
Want to enjoy all the holiday season has to offer, but it all seems over whelming? Join me as we enjoy a stress-free holiday season with a ton of inspiration, money saving ideas for decorating, gift giving, and so much more. Join HERE! And have the best of everything this holiday.
Thank you for your visit today I hope you found some sweet inspiration. What is you favorite Christmas cookie?