It is a bit chilly today, hence I decided to cook a pot of soup. I decided to make my favorite white bean soup recipe. Since I did not soak by dried beans overnight I decided to use my quick soak method from an earlier post you can read it here. I also like to use fresh herbs and fresh vegetables in my white bean soup recipe.
Fun fact: The U.S. Senate serves bean soup every day read more about the tradition here.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later HERE.
Bean Soup Recipe
Cooking a pot of bean soup only takes a few minutes of prep time and is an inexpensive family meal. They will enjoy a warm bowl of creamy white bean soup on a cold day.
Organic Soup Vegetables
I like to start with organic ingredients when possible.
Organic stock can be loaded with sodium so be sure to check the label for sodium content. I like to use one low or no sodium to add a little flavor without the full sodium content.
Senate Bean Soup
- 1 pound Dried White beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 leeks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 ham hock
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- Either soak the beans overnight or use my quick soak method.
- Place dried beans in a Dutch oven or heavy pot and cover with water (add enough water to one inch more than the top the beans.)
- Once the beans have soaked overnight drain and rinse.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Add the leeks and cook about 1 minute. Add garlic, carrots, and celery and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add ham hock, stocks, sage, and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Discard the bay leaf. Remove the ham hocks and cut off the meat and chop it into pieces and set aside.
- Remove about 4 cups of soup into a deep bowl puree with an immersion blender.
- Then return to the soup pot.
- Continue pureeing until about ¾ of the soup is pureed.
In a Dutch oven heat, olive oil to medium-low then add your prepared vegetables and sautee.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of these links I will make a small commission, but rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
Ham Hock or Ham Bone for Bean Soup
I use a ham bone if I have one leftover or one I have frozen, but in the event, I don’t have one I purchase a ham hock. So, the next time you cook a ham freeze the ham bone for later. I think this is the best navy bean recipe. However, you can do it any way you like it such as making it a vegan bean soup.
You might also like a quick dessert:
Sharing is caring, please pin
Thank you so much for your visit. What’s on your menu this week?