Traditional Irish soda bread is quick and easy to make. It does not require rising time like yeast bread instead it is just mixed and then kneaded a few times.
The smell of this buttery bread baking is heavenly. It is the ultimate comfort food while it is hearty and delicious. Serve warm, toasted or room temperature it is simply delicious.
This basic quick bread recipe is so easy you can make it every day. It requires only basic ingredients and a few minutes to prepare. This traditional Irish soda bread recipe’s leavening is not from yeast, but instead from baking powder, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. This bread is perfect served for St. Patrick’s Day.
My favorite accompaniment for this yummy bread is Irish lamb stew you can find my easy Irish stew recipe here. I always serve these recipes on St.Patrick’s Day.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of these links I will make a small commission. However, you can rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
To guarantee my bread turns out perfect I use the best ingredients such as Kerrygold butter and organic eggs, and flour. Heat oven to 375 degrees while preparing the dough.
After adding all the dry ingredients to a large bowl I stir to incorporate. Then I start adding the wet ingredients one at a time and mixing in between each addition.
Cut the butter while cold and then allow it to soften before adding to the bread mixture. Additional options are 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, 1/4 cup shredded cheese or 1 teaspoon dried Itailian herbs.
Turn out on a lightly floured surface to knead the dough and shape it into a ball. Please rounded dough on a prepared sheet pan, iron skillet or cake pan.
Using a sharp knife cut an x on the top of the dough.
Using a heat-proof glass measuring cup melt 1/3 cup of unsalted butter. Then add 1/3 cup cold buttermilk and stir.
Brush the top of the loaf with the buttermilk and butter mixture using a silicone pastry brush.
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 Cups Wheat Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Organic sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Butter cubed
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk (divided)
- 1 Egg Organic
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a sheet pan with non-stick foil or grease
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients
- Add buttermilk, cubbed butter, and egg, and stir until incorporated.
- Cover a clean work surface with a dusting of flour and turn out the dough and knead a few times.
- Shape dough into a round.
- Using a sharp knife cut an x on the top of the dough.
- Brush with buttermilk and butter mixture.
- Place dough in the oven and cook for 50 minutes or until when tested with a toothpick is done (brushing with buttermilk and butter mixture every 15 minutes)
- Baking sheet pan
- Non-Stick foil
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone pastry brush
- Liquid measuring cups
- Nested measuring cups and teaspoons
- Bread knife
Quick Bread Serving Suggestions
This amazing traditional loaf of bread can be served warm or room temperature with your favorite toppings. It works great for toast the next morning too.
My Amazon picks:
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe.
Perfect deviled eggs recipe.
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some recipes I think you will like. If you like easy everyday recipes then you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox click HERE.