Traditional Irish soda bread is quick and easy to make. It does not require rising time like yeast bread; instead, it is just mixed and then kneaded a few times.
The smell of this buttery bread baking is heavenly. It is the ultimate comfort food, and it is hearty and delicious. Serve warm, toasted, or at room temperature. It is simply delicious.
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
This basic quick bread recipe is so easy you can make it every day. It requires only basic ingredients and a few minutes to prepare. This traditional Irish soda bread recipe’s leavening is not from yeast but instead from baking powder, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. This bread is perfectly served for St. Patrick’s Day.
My favorite accompaniment for this yummy bread is Irish lamb stew. You can find my easy Irish stew recipe here. I always serve these recipes on St.Patrick’s Day.
This post contains affiliate links. I will make a small commission if you purchase from one of these links. However, you can rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
I use the best ingredients, such as Kerrygold butter, organic eggs, and flour, to guarantee my bread turns out perfect. Heat oven to 375 degrees while preparing the dough.
After adding all the dry ingredients to a large bowl, I stir to incorporate them. Then I start adding the wet ingredients one at a time and mixing in between each addition.
Cut the butter while cold and then allow it to soften before adding it to the bread mixture. Additional options are 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, or 1 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs.
Turn out on a lightly floured surface to knead the dough and shape it into a ball. Please round dough on a prepared sheet pan, iron skillet, or cake pan.
Cut an x on the top of the dough using a sharp knife.
Using a heat-proof glass measuring cup, melt 1/3 cup of unsalted butter. Then add 1/3 cup cold buttermilk and stir.
Brush the top of the loaf with the buttermilk and butter mixture using a silicone pastry brush.
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 Cups Wheat Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Organic sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Butter cubed
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk (divided)
- 1 Egg Organic
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a sheet pan with non-stick foil or grease
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients
- Add buttermilk, cubed butter, and egg, and stir until incorporated.
- Cover a clean work surface with a dusting of flour and turn out the dough and knead a few times.
- Shape the dough into a round.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an x on the top of the dough.
- Brush with the buttermilk and butter mixture.
- Place dough in the oven and cook for 50 minutes or until when tested with a toothpick is done (brushing with the buttermilk and butter mixture every 15 minutes)
- Baking sheet pan
- Non-Stick foil
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone pastry brush
- Liquid measuring cups
- Nested measuring cups and teaspoons
- Bread knife
Quick Bread Serving Suggestions
This amazing traditional loaf of bread can be served warm or at room temperature with your favorite toppings. It works great for toast the next morning too.
My Amazon picks:
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe.
Perfect deviled eggs recipe.
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some recipes I think you will like. If you like easy everyday recipes then you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox click HERE.