These buttery cranberry orange muffins are wonderful served for breakfast with freshly brewed coffee. I adapted this recipe from my cranberry nut bread.
How to Make Cranberry Orange Muffins
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you purchase from one of these links, I will make a small commission.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus one tablespoon)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- one tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Two tablespoons soften butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
**See the recipe card for more information**
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
Supplies and Tools
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Muffin pan
- Liners (muffin and cupcake)
- Muffin scoop
- Pastry blender
Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Using a pastry blender (this is the one I use), blend softened butter into dry ingredients.
Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
Gently fold in chopped nuts with a wooden spoon.
Rinse cranberries and pat with paper towels to remove most of the moisture. Place 1 1/2 cups of cranberries in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon. Adding the flour to almost dry cranberries prevents pockets of flour in the muffins.
Using a spatula, gently stir cranberries to coat with flour.
Gently fold cranberries into the muffin mixture.
Use a zester and zest 1 1/2 teaspoons of orange from a clean orange (I used a navel orange).
Mix orange zest in 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.
Fill Muffin Tins
Use a muffin scoop (this is the one I used) to measure out muffin batter and fill liners.
Sprinkle the muffin batter with orange flavor sugar. The addition of a sugar topping balances the tart cranberries.
Add a few cranberries to the top of the muffins. I like to cut the large ones in half.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes. I was checking for doneness with a toothpick (see how here).
If you like a drizzled glaze topping, then omit the orange sugar before baking.
Orange glaze topping
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 to 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (start with 3/4 tablespoon, then add more if needed)
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
Drizzle over cooled muffins (room temperature).
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups flour (plus 1 tablespoon to coat berries)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup Orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the dry ingredients, then use a pastry blender to incorporate the butter.
- Using a zester, zest one tablespoon of an orange.
- Add egg, orange juice, and zest in flour mixture.
- Rinse and dry cranberries. Place 1 ½ cups of the cranberries in a bowl with one tablespoon of flour. Coat the cranberries with flour.
- Fold in chopped nuts and flour coated cranberries
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or butter the pan.
- Using a muffin scoop, fill the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle orange sugar (see recipe in the notes) over the tops and add cranberries to the top of the m¼uffins. Cut large ones in half.
- Bake until the muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 - 20 minutes.
Orange Sugar Topping
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 ½ teaspoon orange zest
These light and fluffy muffins deliver a tart and sweet flavor that will delight even the pickiest of taste buds. Cranberries add a zesty pop of flavor, while the fresh orange juice and zest add sweetness.
Can You Freeze Fresh Cranberries?
Absolutely. I measure out the amount I will need for recipes and note that on the date’s freezer bags. Then I place all those individual bags into one 2-gallon freezer.
You can freeze fresh cranberries for up to 12 months. Freezing them ensures you will have whole cranberries all year.
Note: Cranberries are harvested from mid-September to early November.
You Might Also Like:
Our favorite cinnamon muffin recipe even has a hot cocoa mix in the recipe.
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some recipes. I think you will like it.
If you like easy everyday recipes, you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox click HERE.
See you soon,