When you are looking for some wholesome comfort food this Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is going to be a fast favorite. Simple ingredients, easy preparation, and a one-dish casserole everyone will enjoy. This recipe features ground beef or lamb, vegetables, and herbs, topped with creamy mashed potatoes then baked to perfection.
How to Make a Classic Shepherd’s Pie
When making Shepherd’s pie there are lots of options for the meat, and vegetables. The potato topping can be any mashed potato recipe you like. It can have cheese included in the recipe or omit it.
You can use mashed sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. My favorite mashed potato recipe was created by Michelle from The Last Food Blog you can find her recipe HERE.
Scrubbed fresh carrots, celery, potatoes as well as garlic onion to prepare the savory meat and vegetable pie.
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Ground lamb or beef
- Herbs de Provence or Rosemary, thyme, and sage
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- beef broth when using beef, and chicken broth when using lamb
- Frozen peas or frozen corn
- Fresh parsley
- Topping 3.75 cups of mashed potatoes
Tip: If you have cooked ground meat that frozen your prep time will be less than 20 minutes.
Brown the ground meat and drain the fat set aside. Then over medium-high heat saute onions and garlic.
Once the onion is translucent add diced carrots and celery cook until vegetables are tender. Add the browned ground beef, dried herbs, and flour the onion mixture cook for 2 minutes.
Spoon in tomato paste and beef stock and cook for 4 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and frozen peas (or frozen corn) stir in reduce heat and cook for 4 minutes. Then allow the meat mixture to cool to room temperature.
Prepare mashed potato recipe.
Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
Add meat mixture to the prepared casserole baking dish.
Top with Mashed potatoes.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes and the mashed potatoes are lightly browned.
Easy Shepherd's Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (low fat) or ground lamb
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 3¾ cups mashed potatoes
- Scrub potatoes, carrots, and celery with a vegetable brush
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice celery, carrots, and onions
- Add olive oil to skillet and saute onion and minced garlic for 2 minutes then add carrots, and celery and continue to saute until the carrots are tender.
- Add the browned ground beef, dried herbs, and flour to the onion mixture cook for 2 minutes
- Spoon in tomato paste and beef stock and cook for 4 minutes
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and frozen peas stir and cook 4 minutes then and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes
- Place the meat mixture in a buttered casserole dish
- Prepare mash potato recipe (see notes)
- Place 3 3/4 cups of Mashed Potatoes on the meat mixture
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes until it is bubbly and golden brown
- Sprinkle fresh chopped herbs on top before serving
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of these links I will make a small commission, but rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
Tip: You will need 4 cups of mashed potatoes.
You can top the casserole with your favorite mashed potato recipe. I like to use different mashed potato recipes to make it special this cheesy mashed potato recipe is my favorite
This recipe is perfect for serving dinner guests. Choose a pretty casserole dish, serving spoon, place settings, and napkins to make it special. I serve it with a fresh crunchy fall salad, maple balsamic Brussel sprouts, and refreshing pineapple upside-down cake.
Meatless Shepherd’s Pie Option
You can find a meatless shepherd pie recipe on my sister, Kathy’s blog you can find it HERE.
You might also like these recipes:
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a refreshingly fruity cake with caramelized pineapple and cherries.
Have a little fun and serve Dirty Shirleys (adult Shirley Temples.)
My Amazon picks:
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some recipes I think you will like. If you like easy everyday recipes then you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox click HERE.
Thank you so much for your visit today. I hope you have found some inspiration.