This is the best homemade butternut squash recipe ever. It is truly easy, delicious, and healthy.
If you are looking for a warm cozy meal this is it.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you purchase from one of these links, I will make a small commission.
Rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
Hello Fall! I am so ready to cozy up with a warm bowl of soup and enjoy hot cocoa. I just need my favorite throw blanket and a good book and I ready to enjoy fall. It is time to relax after a busy summer and before the busyness of the holidays.
Serve an easy apple dessert for the perfect ending this fall.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
I like to use fresh squash for this recipe, however, you can substitute frozen squash (36 oz.) for the fresh stuff.
Let’s cook up some delicious fall soup.
Start by gathering your ingredients:
- 3 to 4-pound fresh butternut squash
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Yellow onions chopped
- 4 Carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 40 ounces of chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Garnish with sour cream, roasted pepitas, fresh herbs
Supplies and Tools:
Butternut Squash Soup
- 3½ pound Butternut squash
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 40 ounces chicken broth
- ¼ heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ sour cream
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the cut side down on a foil-lined sheet pan
- Cut apple the apple in half and remove seeds and place on the same sheet pan as the butternut squash
- Place the sheet pan in a preheated 400-degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or until squash pulp is tender remove the pan from oven to cool. Scoop out the squash and apple.
- Place butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions, carrots and salt and pepper to taste, cook for 20 minutes.
- Add squash, apple, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To puree the mixture you can use an immersion blender, a blender, or a food processer.
- Return mixture to the Dutch Oven. Stir in cream, paprika, and cumin, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, pepitas, fresh herbs
This creamy butternut squash soup is the ultimate comfort food.
Autumn never tasted so good!
Sometimes we all need a little inspiration for easy meals and recipes. I put together some of our favorite family loved recipes. I think you will like it.
If you like easy everyday recipes, then you might enjoy my favorite recipes delivered straight to your inbox; click HERE.
Thank you so much for your visit today. I hope you have found some inspiration.